Wk. 5 – Radiance Zeigler

17 Jun

I did in fact find Licklider’s article to be prophetic of the reality of the world we live in today. In the very beginning, he projected that we would soon be able to communicate better through a computer than we will be able to do face to face. I think this projection hit the nail right on the head because this is exactly the reality we live in today. Advancements in technology have made it possible to talk to anyone, anywhere in the world, without having to see them in person. This helps contributes to big issues like cyber bullying, withdrawal, and even the new term that has been created termed ‘catfishing’. Computers have made all of these things possible with just the click of a button.

“Life will be happier for the online individual”, Licklider stated. He believed this will be the case because the people that an individual interacts with will more than likely be selected by the things in which they have in common as opposed to just running into them by accident, but I disagree. While I may specify that I like running on my Facebook profile or tweet about how much I like dogs on twitter, that doesn’t necessarily mean that I am interacting with people who enjoy the same things. This may be true in some cases but not all.

Licklider’s discussion on the costs of computing was honestly a bit confusing to me. Although I didn’t comprehend everything that was said, I did grab from his discussion the comparison of travel for instance to computing. Overall, he stated that the cost of computing is cheaper than any other form of communication (in some cases). He also projected that these costs should drop within recent years, making the cost of computing affordable for everyone.

Based on the podcast Alone Together: Why We Expect More from Technology and Less From Each Other, I believe that speaker Professor Sherry Turkle would agree with Licklider. In her speech, she stated that it was undeniable that once computers would allow us to become “more” connected to each other, we would become tethered to the network. We would no longer run into the issue of needing to keep computers busy. They would now begin to keep us busy.