WK 3 Post

9 Jun

• What are the origins of video games and how did they become commercialized?

Rudimentary Spacewar consisted of two humans, two sets of control buttons or joysticks, one for the TV display and one for the computer. Video games became commercialized by putting commercial versions of Spacewar -25 cents a game in university coffee shops.

• What were text-based PC games like and how were they popularized?

These games included more, you were able to use this helmet which allowed you to really feel like you were in the game, you were able to look around in the game, and it presented you with a visual space in which you could move. These games were also 2D. They became popularized by the testers from the different people since the games were shared across different countries and also the college student Ivan who created the helmet for the game probably had some people test out the game and spread the word. Basically sharing across university stores and having acarde models of the game.

• What did graphics add to the experience and marketing of games?

From my personal opinion since I do play video games and from having this discussion on this topic a while back with some people, high quality detailed graphics makes a gamer decided their interest level in the game, for example a game with low quality graphics a person will not attempt to play vs. a game with high quality graphics people will play it. The graphics gives games that real life experience while playing and they help the game sell better. For example 2k and call of duty being able to see the characters look like real people and have real life action based experiences such as if someone gets shot in call of duty they actually die or in 2k if they have their actually shooting form and player rankings then those types of games sell more bringing in more money to the companies. In the passage it states for graphics that Russell adapted computer nature to fit human nature, I feel like this backs up what I was saying because games are created graphic wise to fit, look, and illustrate real life. Steve Russell took a minicomputer and other parts associated with it such as its console typewriter and a paper tape reader and a cathode ray tube display which helped the graphics, they decided that they could make graphics look two-Dimensional.

Trackbacks and Pingbacks

1. Free Piano - July 22, 2015

Free Piano

Usually I don’t read post on blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up very forced me to try and do so!