Difference between revisions of "Hannah Meiklejohn"

From Hst250
Jump to: navigation, search
(Article 2: Meet Big Brother's Younger Brother)
Line 41: Line 41:

'''Edward Snowden'''

'''Edward Snowden'''

:::Quiz: Edward Snowden is...  

:::Quiz: Edward Snowden is...  
*a) a hero
+
:::::*a) a hero
*b) a villain  
+
:::::*b) a villain  
*c) a moron
+
:::::*c) a moron
*d) all of the above
+
:Depending on who you talk to, Edward Snowden can be any or all of these.

Revision as of 16:51, 26 June 2013

Harvest or Kill?

Bioshock[1] - The Game

Bioshock is a first-person shooter video game set in the 1960s that is based in the city of Rapture, an isolated utopia under the sea intended for the elite to work without outside powers. However, the successful discovery of the plasmid ADAM and a class related uprising lead the city to its destruction. The player has to stay alive in this estranged world by searching for artifacts and placing trust in certain characters to help the user escape the city. This means the player will have to make many decisions in the game based on who they trust and the evidence they find. The game was well received by players and critics alike.

Anthropology of Bioshock

Katy Meyers, the author of the article "Anthropology of Social Behavior in Bioshock[2]," explains that the decisions made while playing Bioshock are directly related to how the world is portrayed to them. To get a closer look at what these portrayals mean and what they do, one can investigate the different levels of communication working in the world of the game. This same technique is used in anthropological research. She explains that with an anthropological view, one can take a deeper look into how and why people make certain choices over others while playing. Throughout the game, the user is being pushed and pulled by opposing forces in an environment that they are not familiar with. Looking at the different levels of a narration in Bioshock, or the behavior, speech, and societal ideals, will give insight into why a player makes one conclusion over another. It also helps determine the ways in which a player can get caught up in a game.

What is the Significance?

The author states right away that she is exploring, investigating and drawing a conclusion from the experience of playing Bioshock. In her experience:
  • Her investigation is an anthropological one, meaning she is mainly looking at past and present objects and events that help explain the current state of a society. This is how people come to understand the source of their actions in the game, by looking at:
  1. Behavior/actions of characters
  2. Spoken word by characters
  3. Rules of Society that characters follow
What is interesting about her investigation is that she finds a layer in the game about Objectivism. As she gets into the game, she finds that Andrew Ryan, the creator of Rapture, built the city around the idea that men can create without being overseen by God, government, or man himself. These same ideas line up with the philosophy of Objectivism, created by Ayn Rand. The author explains how this philosophy is seen at each point in the game, focusing on the power of the individual rather than society as a whole. Opposing goals by individuals as a result of their objective viewpoint is what creates and destroys the city of Rapture in the end. It does bring out some questions:
  • Can Society operate in complete Objectivism? This game is merely a simulation of such an event, but the game asks people to operate and communicate in that world. Andrew Ryan takes away the politics and beliefs to create the city in the first place with the idea that it would benefit his city the most.
  • What are the repercussions that are seen in the game? The self centered culture of the city of rapture leads to its downfall. The players introduction to the city is seeing the remains of a city dependent on individuals who perpetuate these self-centered goals.
However, the author is mostly trying to draw attention to the fact that most people function on these levels of communication without realizing it. We assess a situation at first glance, learn from spoken word experiences and draw parallels/conclusions to understand something foreign. This is something that people do in everyday life. It comes in handy when people need to remember why they came to a conclusion because they can work their way back to their initial thought. The importance of this game is that it is a piece by piece assemblage of the process of investigation. Through looking at the behavior, spoken word and society, the author found the foundation of Objectivism in the game, for instance, which she may not have caught up on without this analysis.

Personal View

This post didn't generate any comments or debate but I think that people would have to agree with the basic levels of interpretation here, discussed as an anthropological investigation by the author. It was shared on twitter and facebook and, although I could not find the shared links, I'm sure it generated discussion about objectivism and possibly existentialism. I think that the author did a good job of explaining each level of interpretation, or how I like to put it, communication. It makes sense to explore these levels in a video game because its best used in an environment that is unfamiliar. Video games have the ability to transport a player to fantastic locations that have to be explored to be conqured. Personally, Spyro the dragon is one of my favorite games and I cant go through the game without collecting all of the jewels, talking to every character, and exploring every corner of the map.
Bioshock is also one of my best friends favorite games. I remember watching her play, contemplating killing a little sister or harvesting her, and thinking, how could I begin to decide such a thing? What's great about Bioshock is that it does operate on each level of communication argued here and has the player make choices based on what they have learned. This is why decision making in the game is so crucial. Other games like this include Heavy Rain, which I really enjoyed since the game had a different ending depending on how I played it and what I decided for a character. However, I didn't realize these levels of investigation that I was operating under while playing the game. I learned from what I saw visually and what characters were telling me, even if it was misleading, and I found clues in the environment. How we learn in a video game is much like the anthropological investigations of societies spoken about here. The obvious difference being the simulation of a game vs real life experience; there is no pause or start button and you only have one life.

Works Cited

"Bioshock." Wikipedia, 2013. Web. 3 June 2013.
Meyers, Katy. "Anthropology of Social Behavior in Bioshock." Playthepast.org. Play The Past, 22 November 2011. Web. 3 June 2013.

Article 2: Meet Big Brother's Younger Brother

ANONYMOUS

What can be said about a group of people who are joined together under multiple pretenses from around the globe with no leader, no rules (besides the obvious rules of the internet[3]), and no shame? Possibly that they live for cats and the joy of trolling. The viscous nature of Anonymous has made it hard to define the organization, if one could call it that. Made from a generation of hackers and /b/tards, Anonymous is now a large collective of anon internet users that join together for multiple purposes, ranging from protests to practical jokes. Quinn Norton's three part series about Anonymous gives a general timeline of the origins of the group[4]. In the beginning, it was mostly users posting on 4chan.org. The prominent pranksters started out ordering pizzas to random houses and pushing peoples buttons, aka "trolling." However I can say that from reading Norton's article, I have learned that besides cats, the Anonymous group can agree that no one will take away their right to free speech, and other such internet freedoms, away from them. They do not applause groups, institutions, or corporations that try to compromise a users ability online. They use the internet as their weapon and they don't hold back.
Over time, they have shut down or hacked websites ranging from Sony to the Church of Scientology. Members met face to face for the first time while protesting the Church of Scientology during Project Chanology[5]. They had tried to remove video of Tom Cruise speaking on behalf of the Church from the internet but failed due to its rapid circulation. It was a move from the web to the streets for the LOLZ community. From there, one can see a different divisions of Anonymous forming. Old members kept up with their usual pranks while new members decided to join as a way to organize and oppose powerful forces. Some just kept making cat memes. An army of internet anons arose and gained the attention of the press, who were often excited and confused with the group. Since then, more and more people have joined Anonymous to help in issues overseas with Tunisia, Egypt, and The Occupy Movement in the U.S. The success of the group to gain both media attention and the attention of establishments worldwide, as seen with Tunisia, have empowered the group and encouraged further activities in the name of Anonymous.

SOPA

Stop Online Piracy Act

PIPA

Protect IP Act

Edward Snowden

Quiz: Edward Snowden is...
  • a) a hero
  • b) a villain
  • c) a moron
Depending on who you talk to, Edward Snowden can be any or all of these.