week three- Amira Bell

3 Jun

Referring back to previous lectures and readings that have been about the historic background of the development of computers which will lead us into this week’s lecture which was the back ground development of video games. In 1947 Goldsmith and Mann: the Great Grandfathers submitted a patent that outlined a device called the Cathode Ray Amusement. A device that simulated a missile being fired at a target which was inspired by World War II, purely for amusement. The first actual game that was made was created by A.S Douglas, creating a game that studied human computer interaction called noughts and crosses built to run on EDSAC.
The origins of computer based videos games goes back as far as 1940 when tic tac toe (noughts and crosses), and tennis for two was first introduced. Leading into the first video game to be commercialized was computer space which was adopted from Spacewar! Spacewar was created by a group who called themselves hackers the game did not sell well but it opened an avenue for other videogame creators to commercialize their games publicly. Text based PC games worked with command text options meaning you would have to enter a word for the player to move or do whatever action you wanted them to do. This also worked for the things around you in the games. Text based games became popularized because sierra venture a company that developed text based games.
The text based games didn’t become popular till sierra games got help from IBM with the development of the PC jr. IBM actually approached Roberta Williams and ken Williams to pitch the idea. Graphics made video games more enjoyable the graphics also allowed you to move your character around with your cursor instead of text commands. Pixels were also added instead of texts making the picture bright in color. King quest was the first game on the pc jr which had the best pixel based graphics which made the game sell an extraordinary amount of copies.

5 Responses to “week three- Amira Bell”

1. loftonta June 5, 2015 at 2:20 pm #

Hello i think your post is great, i think the use of the information from the reading was well crafted into your answers. Your post contains a lot of information which supports your answers fully. Great post in general, the information was useful to me, i made my answers straight to the point so they did not contain much information, your post showed me what i missed by not putting in mine and what all i should have included.

2. wattdani June 5, 2015 at 3:12 pm #

Hi Amira! I would like to start off by saying that I genuinely enjoyed reading your post not only because of how easy it was to follow, but because of how accurate the information you included in your post. There was a lot of information to pick and choose from the lectures and readings, but I think you chose the most important people and information to discuss. For me personally, it was useful to see what you included and what you excluded in your post because it helped me get a sense of how well I wrote mine. Many people provide excessive amounts of information but you were straight forward and provided just the right amount of information to where I didn’t lose attention but still had a good amount of detail. Overall, I think you did a great job!

3. Kyle Mulvany June 5, 2015 at 7:12 pm #

Ms. Bell, you wrote a great post here! I like the history of the video games that you brought up in your discussion. Those first games, such as Cathrode Ray Amusement and Noughts and Crosses were revolutionary at the time and jump started the wave of video games.
    I think as personal computers began to become more popular, video games did as well. The computer community such as the hackers and those that subscribed to computer journals and magazines also played a big role in the advancement of video games because they provided a community that was interested in playing and creating video games. As the video game culture grew, others became interested such as Roberta and Ken Williams who took previous computer game ideas and expanded on them. Eventually computer games became much popularized as they became more easily accessible to the public by being distributed through retailers and made available for multiple personal computers, and even televisions. I believe the computer culture had a big influence on the advancement of computer and video games.

4. mackoold June 6, 2015 at 7:25 am #

Great job on delivering this information. I hadn’t even thought of the Sierra games being some of the forefathers of text based games, but I can see that from the way the kings quest and space quest series are still being sold to this day. Without these early text based games, I think some of the more modern rpg games could not have thrived. It is amazing to me how in the same amount of time as from 2000 to now, games went from a single movable pixel on a display to the kings quest series

Trackbacks and Pingbacks

1. Free Piano - August 13, 2015

Free Piano

This definitely be the next preference. You are perfect, theme team. I Really enjoy the system, fonts along with the perfect subject. Thanks for a great valuable project. Great work! Keep up the ultra do the webjob! Japan for Free