Week 5: Drake Saarinen

17 Jun

For this week we have been talking about the internet and the world wide web, and how they have come to be as well as how they have changed. Their development was disgusted and it allowed us to look into the technologies and people responsible for the net. One of those people is J.C.R. Licklider, essentially the man who came up with the idea of networked computers as well as the head of Information Processing Techniques Office (IPTO) at ARPA. In his article “The Computer as a Communication Device” he makes several points on his predictions of computer networks in the future, their cost, and their effects on social interaction.

Licklider’s predictions about the cost of computing I believe to be spot on. He says that it is very expensive for the current time, and that It might be cheaper to just call someone with the information. He then goes on to explain that the cost of computing is dropping 50% every two years and that very soon the cost will be so little that the vast majority of people will have access to computer networked communication. When he come to talk about social interaction I believe he is some what right. He says that with networks business men will never really have to leave their buildings to get a transaction or some other work going. I believe he is incorrect because although networks are far more efficient that meeting someone. There is still that intimacy of meeting a client face to face that allows them to seem more trust worthy. This can still be seen today. I see business men meeting all the time in restaurants and coffee shops. He is very right though about business presentations. He has a picture of people listening to a presentation while on computers reading supplemental information. This is something I see all the time. In fact all of my college classes are set up in this way. A professor reading slides and students on their computers taking notes.

When it comes to Sherry Turkle I think she would say that people would take these changes and still try to have face to face communications. She would say that these communications are making people to close to people they don’t even know. Shes uses the example that teenage girls feel they are closer to Tom Cruise than to other 15 year old boys they actually know because they have so much access to information regarding him. I think that she would try to convince Licklider that there is the idea of anonymity with the web that allows personal interpersonal relationships to change very much. Something that he did not seem to address or for see.

2 Responses to “Week 5: Drake Saarinen”

1. Quishanna Coleman June 18, 2015 at 11:07 pm #

I really enjoyed your post but I would have to disagree with you on one point. I believe that yes, Turkle would have had a few things to say to Licklider about his view of the potential computer (which is now our reality) but not for our closeness to strangers. I personally think that Turkle would have more of a problem with the sense of alienation that we feel with the people that we are supposed to be closest to. She spoke of how more and more people today feel awkward and nervous when having to have conversations in “real time” rather than answering a text message or email after you’ve had time to think about the perfect response. You do have a point about people today feeling closer to complete strangers than we do with some of our so-called best friends though. I guess the two viewpoints could be interchangeable actually.

• Diba Mohammadullah June 19, 2015 at 3:49 pm #

I completely agree with the points you made about the original post. Granted it can be said with having access to the internet or in this weeks lectures the World Wide Web to discover about strangers whom attract us, yet fail to understand the people who we are psychically surrounded around. We have to understand that we can not lose the sense of reality and yet be close to those who have no idea of who we are as real life humans. Turkle clearly points out the importance intimacy and how different media has taken a toll on our lives. Though I enjoyed reading both the post and your comment I would have to day that we should not lose the sent of reality with those whom we care about with technology, because after all we are humans not devices, and our emotions should not be controlled by such devices.